Monday 21 January 2008

"We've lost a lifeline"

The strength of feeling of regular customers at our post office in Swan Street was typified by a very nice lady called Carol (she didn't wish to give her surname).

Carol works with the disabled in Barry but she drove from work, back to Llantrisant, to be at the meeting this morning.

This is what she said.

"I'm paying back time in lieu by travelling from my job in Barry to be here today because I think the post office is such a vital resource.

"More resources should be coming to Llantrisant, not less, and the post office, through Colin, is a lifeline, he's the man who can. I've had difficult times recently and I don't know how I'd have managed without him, he's helped me deal with so much bureaucracy.

"To me the decision to close this branch sort of symbolises the way our values in society have changed.

"I was numb when I heard the news the post office was to close because the situation seemed so hopeful.

"I don't understand why our branch hasn't been reviewed, it doesn't seem fair. The people who made the decision have obviously not gone up and down our hill.

"The post office is such a lifeline for elderly people, children use it all the time, too...this is such a lost opportunity because Llantrisant should be growing."

No comments: