Monday 21 January 2008

The Politician's View: Why did Postwatch withdraw their support?


Plaid AM Leanne Wood was at our post office this morning. Like many she was very surprised by the the decision to close our branch.

She also said she was baffled why Postwatch Wales, who recommended that Llantrisant post office be one of four reviewed before closure, apparently withdrew their support for us in our time of need.

Here's what Leanne said this morning:

"I was very surprised when I heard the decision because the campaign had been so strong and Postwatch's support had been very significant.

"I really believed this would be one of the post offices that would be saved so the news came as a bit of a shock.

"As I understand it, Postwatch changed their position and I don't understand why that happened. So I will be going back to my office today, I will try to establish why they withdrew their support at the last minute.

"It's difficult to know what more we can do now because this is a final decision and as far as I'm aware there is no avenue for appeal, but that's something I will look at again because clearly this is a post office that does need saving.

"If I were in your shoes I'd just say that the people of Llantrisant have run an excellent campaign and the information they've put together can be shared with other people.

"This is only one phase in the latest phase of post office closures, there are loads more to come and there are going to be communities who'll want a campaign to save their post office so I think you could give a lot of information that people can learn from.

"Post offices have only got a chance of being saved if people come together and put their arguments as strongly as they possibly can.

"The downside of this is that the people of Llantrisant have run one of the best campaigns I've seen and you haven't managed to keep your post office open, so that will be a blow to everybody now.

"I'm really sorry the campaign hasn't given you a better result."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Postwatch Wales issued a press release today, which has been sent to John Gilheaney.