Wednesday 2 January 2008

"I meet all my friends here"


Mrs Violet Doster from Dan Y Felin, Llantrisant spoke for many when I met her on New Year's Eve.

Here she expresses what the post office means to her and also the problems the disabled will face if the premises in Swan Street closes.

"My thoughts on the proposed closure are the same as most people's - we're devastated.

"Llantrisant is an historic town and everything in Llantrisant has died and gone, it's all gone down to Talbot Green and Penygawsi and I think it's a shame really because people run businesses up here and they need somewhere to put their money in.

"The post office means a lot to me, I use it nearly every day. I meet all my friends here, I get my pension, I do my banking, post letters and parcels too.

"If the post office closed I'd have to do my business at Penygawsi but you see I'm lucky, I've got a car - lots of people haven't - and I'm young enough to drive. Lots of old people can't get down to Penygawsi and in Talbot Green you can't park, it's lethal down there.

"If I could speak to the people who will make the decision I'd say this: 'There's an old age complex in Llantrisant and the people there find it difficult enough to get up here in Swan Street. You say there's wheelchair access down in the alternative post offices we'd have to use but there isn't because everything is in the aisles, I know, I have a partner who is in a wheelchair and it's very awkward to get into places.'"

No comments: