Thursday 3 January 2008

"It's the heart of the town, always has been, always will be"


One of the most passionate people I've spoken to about the proposed closure of our post office was Vivian Holloway from Dan Caerlan, Llantrisant.

He emphasised the difficulties pensioners will have in using the proposed alternatives and he didn't mince his words when it came to criticising Westminster's politicians.

This is what Vivian said.

"It's alright for people to say it's only so many miles to the next post office but they don't realise you have to go down a hill, across two main roads - how are old people going to come back up?

"That's the way I look at it, I think if this post office closes it would be disgusting.

"People in Parliament are trying to close it down and they know nothing about it, nothing about the situation here. They are talking a load of rubbish.

"I use this post office every week. I use it for my pension, I do all my banking here, this is the main place for me.

"I even get pensions for other people as well, those who can't come at the moment because they're ill or for whatever reason. I don't know how they'd manage if it goes.

"I've got a car at the moment but I'm not always going to have a car so how will I get to the next one (post office)?

"I feel very upset about it, I really do.

"Where else could I bank? I'd have to go to Talbot, Cardiff, Pontypridd. There's no chance for us, especially in a town like this and I think we - us old age pensioners - are the majority.

"The post office is the heart of any town, always has been, always will be

"I'm 77 and I've been using this post office for years and years and years, since before it was here in Swan Street.

"As for Colin, what a man! The best Post Master there is, first class. He and his wife Lynne will do anything for you and we will lose a good man in him if the post office goes."

No comments: