Tuesday 15 January 2008

The Big Issue

Many thanks to Greg Lewis for writing about our campaign in this week's edition of The Big Issue.

Greg is one of the finest Journalists we have in Wales (and beyond!) so his words mean a lot.

His blog is called What Is Wales And What Is It For? I've included it in the links section, I recommend you give it a visit.

Here's The Big Issue piece in full.

They call it the tyranny of numbers – the way figures and statistics dominate our lives.

If auditors and bean counters can't get the columns to add up, jobs go, services go, a bit of life is shaved off.

Well, some people won't accept it.

Take post office closures.

Campaigns have sprung up all over by folk who recognise the central role their post office plays in their town.

One such community is Llantrisant where a closure would have a great effect on many older residents.

A Journalist in the town has created a blog to support the threatened post office.

He's using a modern medium but the work is pure old-style journalism.

"Llantrisant is an historic town and everything in Llantrisant has died and gone," says one resident given voice on the site.

"The post office means a lot to me, I use it nearly every day. I meet all my friends here, I get my pension, I do my banking, post letters and parcels too."

The blog gets to the heart of what it means to be part of a community.

Not something that can be measured by profit, turnover or footfall.

No comments: