Sunday 13 January 2008

The quotes that make the case

This website is all about voices and what follows, ahead of what will be a busy and decisive week, is a round-up of some of the best quotes on this site.

The following will give anyone new to the Save Llantrisant Post Office campaign a very good indication of the strength of feeling both in the town and beyond.

I think you'll agree that the views expressed below augment and make the argument for keeping our post office open both compelling and, most importantly, right.

"Say it snows up here - how are we going to get to these other places? It's not fair. There are more old people up here than young ones, the threat of closure makes me bloody mad." Gwyn Rees, 80, High Street, Llantrisant.

"I use the post office every Monday. I've been using it for ten years. If this one closes I'd have to get a taxi to go to another post office and that would cost me £4." Stroke victim Mark Mortimer, London House, Llantrisant.

"The post office is a service which is paid for by taxes for the convenience of the people. It's not supposed to be a profit-making business at all no more than any of the other services, like the health service." Creighton Lewis, Llantrisant resident and Advisor to the National Public Health Service.

"It's absurd that they are planning these closures at the same time as the Royal Mail Chief Executive is to get an enormous bonus taking his total salary to £1.3 million a year." Leanne Wood AM, Plaid Cymru

"I feel sorry for the pensioners I do, because it's all hill in Llantrisant." Rita Howells, Heol Gwynno.

"I'm disgusted a Labour government is doing this because at the end of the day they own 51% of it, don't they? I think it's terrible." Michael Welsh, Gwaunruperra, Llantrisant

"There are no pedestrian crossings en route to the post offices people (especially the elderly) would have to use if Llantrisant post office closed." Colin Williams, Operations Director of local business n-ergy.

"The post office is the heart of our town, always has been, always will be." Vivian Holloway, Dan Caerlan, Llantrisant.

"I find it incredibly difficult to accept the proposed closure of Llantrisant Post Office and, given its incongruence with the Llantrisant Old Town Regeneration Strategy, must insist on offering my support to defending this branch." Jane Davidson AM.

"Llantrisant is an historic town and everything in Llantrisant has died and gone, it's all gone down to Talbot Green and Penygawsi. The post office means a lot to me, I use it nearly every day. I meet all my friends here, I get my pension, I do my banking, post letters and parcels too." Violet Doster, Dan Y Felin.

"When I visited Llantrisant Post Office it was clear that it would be hugely irresponsible to withdraw this facility," Plaid Cymru AM Chris Franks, South Wales Central.

"We try and help everybody," Colin Cranness, Llantrisant's Post Master.

No comments: