Wednesday 26 December 2007

"What will the old do when it snows?"


Gwyn Rees, who lives on High Street, Llantrisant, is nearly 80. He says the proposed closure will make life much more difficult for the town's large population of elderly people.

He makes the valid point that OAPs who can't drive will have terrible problems traversing the hills that lead to and from other post offices in the area.

"I think the proposed closure is terrible," says Gwyn.

"We're living in one of the oldest towns in South Wales. When this town was thriving there was nothing up the valleys at all - nothing. Pontyclun didn't exist when this town was going 'ding-dong'.

"And yet they want to move the post office away from here.

"A lot of old people live here, myself included, I'm going on for 80 and I think the idea of closing the post office is blinkin' disgusting.

"Say it snows up here - how are we going to get to these other places? It's not fair. There are more old people up here than young ones, the threat of closure makes me bloody mad.

"If it closes I'll have to find my way to another place - that's OK if you can drive - but if you're knocking on 80, it's very, very difficult.

"I'm lucky, my missus is a bit younger than me, she drives me around in the car.

"But it could mean we have to drive to Penygawsi, down that hill, back up, and I'm nearly 80 years old!

"Closure would throw everybody out. I think it's wrong.

"When I ran an Iron Mongers shop down the road I used to do all my business at the post office. I remember the days when the streets of Llantrisant were lined with stalls, but those days have gone.

"Look at it (Gwyn surveys Swan Street at this moment) they've robbed us of everything and now they want to take away our post office."

No comments: