Wednesday 26 December 2007

The effect closure would have on a stroke victim


On Christmas Eve I had a brief chat with Mark Mortimer of London House, Llantrisant. His words were very poignant indeed.

When Mark said goodbye I watched him limp very slowly down Swan Street towards his nearby house.

In the light of the proposed post office closure I thought it was a very sad sight. I wished that those who want to close the post office saw Mark's laboured walk home and heard what he had to say.

This is Mark's view.

"I'm disabled now. I had a stroke this year. I was in hospital for four months.

"When I heard the post office was closing I thought I can't go nowhere else.

"Then I thought I'd have to go to Talbot Green, catch buses and everything - ridiculous.

"I use the post office every Monday. I've been using it for ten years. If this one closes I'd have to get a taxi to go to another post office and that would cost me £4.

"I can't work because I've got a stroke so that kind of money would be a big burden to me.

"I think the people who are thinking of closing the post office down are foolish, they don't realise what the people have got here.

"The effect on the community will be big, too - people don't realise what they've got until it goes."

1 comment:

Juliette Llewellyn said...

I live in Cardiff but having suffered with a disabling chronic illness over time i can fully appreciate what the closure of a local PO (in this instance Llantrisant PO) would have on a disabled person with walking difficulties.

Apart from the practical concerns of money, stamps, paying bills etc there is the emotional independance one gains from aiming to do and doing these things oneself. Sometimes it can be the only thing in a day where a person would have social contact or be able to get too alone.

Please think again in closing this PO in terms of how it would affect those less able than others. You could be ripping away one of the only forms of independance.

All the best, Juliette Llewellyn