Monday 24 December 2007

An open letter

An open letter sent to Steve Geraty (Network Development Manager, Post Office Ltd, c/o National Consultation Team, FREEPOST CONSULTATION TEAM) on November 19th.

Dear Mr Geraty

RE: PROPOSED CLOSURE OF LLANTRISANT POST OFFICE

I would like to register my dismay and disappointment at the news that the post office in Swan Street, Llantrisant is under threat of closure.

While I appreciate that the Post Office has to save money I hope you will do your utmost to prevent the demise of what is a pivotal point in the local community.

The closure of the Swan Street premises would make life much harder for those who are elderly and disabled as well as those town citizens who have low income and no access to motorised transport.

This is because alternative post offices in the area are not easily accessible on foot due to the steep hill one has to descend and then climb in order to reach other outlets.

In fact an unfortunate consequence of closing the post office in Swan Street would be increased level of traffic congestion caused by people having to drive to their nearest post office, instead of walking, as they currently do. This point also touches on obvious environmental drawbacks as you will no doubt appreciate.

I would be very sad to see Llantrisant post office close. On a personal level the man who runs it, Colin Cranness, is a gentleman, a popular guy who loves what he does and is always generous with his advice, time and humour. He really is a credit to the town and his profession.

I hope you will make the right decision which in my, and many other people's view, is to keep the post office in Swan Street open.

Yours sincerely

John Gilheaney

OK, you've seen how it's done. Make yourself heard today. Pick up that pen or leave a comment here. Every voice helps...although I must sadly inform you that I'm still awaiting a response to my letter to Mr Geraty.

No comments: