Thursday 28 February 2008

Is Kim Howells a hypocrite?


I will close this site soon, I don't see any reason for it continuing. But before I stop, a few parting shots.

Today, on the way to work, I heard a news story on the radio in which the Tories accused several cabinet ministers of "rank hypocrisy" for campaigning to save post offices in their constituencies, despite the Government's decision to back the closure policy last year.

Shadow Post Office Minister Charles Hendry said: "Cabinet ministers have a responsibility to explain to their own constituency why decisions to close post offices were right, rather than just saying their constituencies should be exempted."

These words made me ponder the role of our MP, Dr Kim Howells. "Is he a rank hypocrite?" I asked myself as I drove along the M4.

Dr Howells' problem, at least for us, was that he had a foot in both camps.

Being generous we could say that when we visited him at the House of Commons he outlined both sides of the argument.

But I knew, when he sidestepped my invitation for him to visit our post office, that he was not fully behind us.

You certainly can't compare the calculated arguments he expressed to the passion of Jane Davidson AM who was unequivocal in her support for our campaign.

Just read the words she said on the day we went to Parliament. Why couldn't Foreign Office Minister Dr Howells make a speech like that in aid of us?

So, when it came to his role in our campaign, is it fair to say he was a hypocrite?

No, I think that's too harsh.

But could he have done more?

Yes, he certainly could.

Kim, you let us down.

No comments: