Thursday 21 February 2008

Howells attacks "unprincipled opportunists"

I received a letter from Dr Kim Howells yesterday, today was my earliest opportunity to upload it here.

Dr Howells wrote to me after obtaining a letter he received (dated February 13th, 2008) from Phillipa Wright, National Consultation Manager.

Phillipa's letter is not worth putting on this site. It simply reiterates the reasons Post Office Ltd gave for closing our branch.

Dr Howells' correspondence is, however, worth perusing.

This is what his letter, dated February 18th, said:

Dear Mr Gilheaney

I enclose a copy of an extremely disappointing reply I have received from Post Office Ltd which confirms that all of the seven post offices listed for closure in this constituency are, indeed, to close. I know, from discussions with scores of people across the borough, that they share my anger and frustration at these decisions. I am far from convinced that the Post Office management understand the burden that the closures will create, not only for the sub postmasters and mistresses but also for the elderly, infirm and for local businesses who find the locations of a number of the sub post offices very convenient.

I am sure, in my own mind, that the real reasons for the closures are due to the government having to contain the substantial sums being paid as subsidies to keep the offices open. In these difficult financial times it is a duty, of course, of a government to protect taxpayers' money wherever possible and none of the government's critics on post office closures can say how, exactly, they would find the extra funds to continue with the present levels of subsidy. They are simply name-calling in the hope of winning some votes: unprincipled opportunists without a constructive thought in their heads.

My frustration derives, not from a recognition that government has to take great care with taxpayers' money but that due consideration has not been given by Post Office management to the difficulties that people will have negotiating steep hills and inconvenient routes to reach the nearest alternative post office. I have tried in every way I know how to persuade the authorities that these are very serious considerations but, so far, without success.

I will continue trying. In the meantime, thank you once again for your interest.

Yours sincerely


Dr Kim Howells
Member of Parliament for Pontypridd

No comments: