Tuesday 5 February 2008

Geraty: "This is not a popularity contest"

I received a letter from Post Office Ltd Network Manager Steve Geraty today, one in which he responded to the open letter, to both him and Mr Huw Roberts, Director Welsh Affairs, Royal Mail Group, I put on this site on Thursday January 24th, 2008.

You may wish to refer to my correspondence (see below) before you read Mr Geraty's reply to each point.

This is what his letter, dated February 4th, 2008, said.

Dear Mr Gilheaney

Thank you for your letter dated January 24th addressed to myself and my colleague Huw Roberts.

I will endeavour to address the points you raise in your letter. However I must stress that Post Office Ltd's decision to close Llantrisant Post Office is final and there is no further appeal procedure.

1. The reference to Llantrisant within the decision document refers to the town and the surrounding area.

2. Every piece of correspondence received during the area public consultation period is read and considered by me as I have overall responsibility for making both proposals and decisions on individual branches. Postwatch also receive copies of correspondence received during public consultation to inform their participation in the decision making process.

As I said many times during the consultation period, this is not a popularity contest. The number of correspondence received or signatories on a petition will not impact on the decision as much as the provision of factual information.

As you can see from the Decision Document, new factual information was presented in relation to two branches which resulted in Post Office Ltd reviewing its decision to close High Street, Barry and Splott Road. While Llantrisant organised a strong campaign there was not enough new evidence presented to withdraw this office from the plan.

3. The regular bus service referred to is number 100 (Veolia Transport Cymru), which runs from the Wheat Sheaf, High Street, every half an hour to Llantrisant Leisure Centre, which is approximately 250 yards from Cross Inn Post Office and Talbot Green Bus Station and number 244 (Stagecoach) which runs every hour to Llantrisant Leisure Centre and Talbot Green Bus Station. I note from my research into local transport in the area that two websites (www.craftgallerywales.com and www.llantrisant.net) both quote regular bus services travelling to and from the town.

4. My team and I visited Llantrisant on a number of occasions during the planning stage and consultation period and work was undertaken to examine local factors, including impact on the immediate local economy. There was no endorsement of Tesco Extra; only recognition of the fact that people need to leave Llantrisant to purchase food supplies, whether or not they choose to shop at that particular retail outlet.

I hope the above clarifies Post Office Ltd's position.

Yours sincerely


Steve Geraty
Network Development Manager
Post Office Ltd
c/o National Consultation Team
FREEPOST CONSULTATION TEAM


I'll study the contents of this letter with Colin and post a response at a later date. A press release I received from Jane Davidson's office will be uploaded later today.

No comments: