Wednesday 12 March 2008

Essex leads the way

Essex County Council's bold and well-publicised decision to consider reopening and running 15 post offices has brought an unexpected glimmer of hope to people across the country.

(For background information to this story please go to: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7289939.stm)

I contacted Plaid Cymru AM Chris Franks and Labour AM Jane Davidson yesterday about this development and I was happy to hear that both of them are examining the possibilities that Essex's lead may bring.

Find below a copy of a letter, dated March 12th, that Jane has written to Russell Roberts, Leader of Rhondda Cynon Taff.

County Borough Councillor Russell Roberts
Leader of Rhondda Cynon Taff CBC
Leader’s Office
The Pavilions
Clydach Vale
Tonypandy
CF40 2XX

Dear Russell,

Re: Llantrisant Post Office

As you will be aware, I have been working closely with Llantrisant residents over recent months regarding the closure of the town’s Post Office.

Residents have recently contacted me in relation to the news reports of Essex County Council’s interest in taking over the running of a number of their county’s Post Offices, and are keen to learn whether RCT has considered a similar initiative.

I should be most grateful if you could provide me with your thoughts on this matter.

Best wishes

Yours sincerely

Jane Davidson
Assembly Member for Pontypridd


I will write a little letter to Russell later today informing him of this site and the strength of feeling in our town.

I will update you if and when I receive further information on this.

No comments: